Thursday, April 30, 2009

A Tiny Little Ginormous Shift in Plans

Dear Molly,

If you haven't figured this out by now, your mommy is a planner. If I don't have my calendar and lists and grids in front of me, I get anxious. The fact that I have your first appointment for 2010 and I don't have my 2010 calendar yet is making me more crazy than I care to admit. All of this comes from having an engineer for a father and a elementary school teacher as a mother... that and working in PR. Sorry - it's just who I am.

So, as your Daddy and I were figuring out what to do for Kindergarten, you can imagine this was well discussed and thought out. For approximately the last year (even 18 months or so) we've known that we would send you to morning Kindergartern, then to your current preschool/daycare for afternoon Kindergarten enrichment. That way, we rationalized, it would ease your transition... and we could also still take you to daycare for the random days that school is closed (like Presidents' Day, Columbus Day, the third Wednesday of every month...).

All that changed on Wednesday.

I had your Parent/Teacher conference with Ms. Sofi.

After she told me all kinds of great things about you, she said (in her very straightforward manner): "I hear you're sending Molly to half-day Kindergartern?"

"Yes," I replied.

"Why?"

Um... uh... well...

"Molly is ready for Kindergarten."

So we talked it out... and I called Daddy, talked it out with a few folks, called Grandma... and the more we thought about it, the more we knew Ms. Sofi was right.

So tomorrow, we register you for full-day Kindergarten.

Kindergarten. My little girl. Ready to take on the big K. Ready to take on the world.

No comments: