Monday, May 19, 2008

I Just Hope Tigger Isn’t Next...


Originally written: April 5, 2008


In Molly’s class at school, they are learning rhyming words. This on the tail of reading Fox in Socks about 20 times…So she’s getting really good at rhyming.

“Mommy – flower and glower. Do those rhyme?”

“Well, yes – they rhyme. But glower isn’t really a word.”

“Ok – flower and power and gower.”

“Gower?

So one afternoon we’re headed out to lunch, and Molly is trying out some new rhyming words as we’re getting into the van.

“Yuck and truck and duck and….”

Yep – you guessed it. She correctly rhymed yuck with that word.

Aaron looked at me. Under my breath I muttered, “Don’t react. Just let it go.”

Then, as if she’s genetically disposed to LOVING the sound of that word, she hit it again. “Yuck and f!@#$... and f%^&*… and f%^%&^!”

Ok, so maybe we need to say something.

Daddy quickly said, “Molly, you can say yuck but not that other word. It’s not a nice word that we use.” She said “ok,” and that was it.

Later that afternoon, we’re playing sidewalk chalk and Molly scrapes her finger. Yes, that finger. She comes to show me her boo-boo… and ends up giving me a full-blown bird.

Great – my baby is dropping f-bombs and giving me the bird.

I felt compelled to e-mail Molly’s teachers and explain that she really doesn’t know what that word or gesture mean… because wherever would she learn that? But just in case she starts rhyming words or showing off boo-boos in class, consider yourself warned.

2 comments:

xxxxxxxxxxx said...

I just ran across your blog by chance and this is one of the funniest posts i have ever read, dont stop writing- funny stuff!

Vicki said...

Thanks, Trevor. I'll have to write about my foul-mouthed toddler more often!