Saturday, January 24, 2009

An Unexpected Momento

Molly,
Your cousins Avery and Riley bought you a calendar for Christmas -- an elephant calendar, of course. It's filled with really beautiful photographs of elephants, elephant families, mommy and Molly elephants... all of which you love.

Over the Christmas holiday, while Daddy was out of town and I was trying to figure out ways to entertain you when it was 20 degrees outside, I thought, "Let's put all our fun stuff to do on your new calendar!"

I have to admit, this - seriously - is one of my favorite pasttimes. I LOVE working on my calendar, color-coding every entry, adding birthdays, and writing in upcoming events with great anticipation. Yeah, I know - it's weird. And honestly, I figured that you'd sit beside me, point to the calendar, tell me what to write, then (after about 3.5 minutes) ask to watch something on TV.

I was wrong... and pleasantly, delightfully surprised.

You and I sat side by side at the coffee table (also known as your coloring table) for more than an hour, and I spelled out words while you -- all by yourself -- wrote them down. You wrote "Ballet" each Friday, added in "Dr. Mark" for your upcoming dentist appointment, then drew a picture of you and me for Mother's Day, and drew hearts all over Father's Day.
I showed it to Daddy. He smiled and asked, "You're never throwing this away, are you."
With tears in my eyes, I shook my head, "No."




No comments: