Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It Takes a Village

I've been meaning to write this post for awhile... but today gave me another inspiration to do so...

One of the things that's been great, Molly, about you growing up, getting involved in activities, and starting to have playdates and friends is that I've gotten to know your friends' mommies (and daddies, too). One of the best examples of this - ballet and pancakes with Abby and her mom. While you play in the play area, we talk about all kinds of mom stuff ("You know, like purses," you told me last week), cool things happening, even just stuff. That's how we decided to go to see Dan Zanes together... Abby's mom mentioned it on a Friday morning and next thing you know, we have tickets! And the concert was one of the highlights of last year...















As we got to know Abby and her mom and dad, Ellie and her family, the other Ellie and her family -- going to birthday parties last summer, visiting at school events, having playdates -- we started to become our own little support network. We're now carpooling to swim lessons, picking up each other's kids at school, even having sleepovers and planning for summer camps and family vacations together!


Then there's Jake up the street. He's about 1-1/2 years younger than you (he's my birthday twin!) and about as cute as they come... his mom is a school counselor and we talk on occasion about neighborhood stuff and kid stuff. In fact, I recommended your school to her and now Jake goes there too! (I even talked to him mom about how great the ballet program is -- and he's taking ballet too!)

Anyway, yesterday it snowed and there was a threat of a snow day today. I was shoveling the driveway and she stepped outside to let new puppy Dixon out. We started talking, I mentioned how Daddy conveniently is in Florida... and she offered to watch you in case of a snow day.

At 7 a.m. this morning, your school appeared on the closings list. So, I go outside to shovel - AGAIN - and thinking to myself, "How early can I call her without seeming desperate?" Just then, it was time for Dixon's morning constitutional. And Jake's mom called out, "Good morning! When is Molly coming over? Jake is so excited!"
So you spent the day at Jake's -- sledding, coloring, building with Lincoln Logs, eating chicken nuggets, and watching movies. When I came to pick you up, Lilo and Stitch wasn't over yet, so I finished shoveling while you finished your movie.

It takes a village to raise a child. And, without family in town to help us, we've started to forge our own little village. And I am so very thankful for all the wonderful "extra" mommies and daddies we have that care for you and help us each and every day.

It takes a village to raise a child. And we are so very blessed to have these wonderful people in our very own little village.

No comments: