Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Through the Looking Glass...


Last Friday, after BalletandPancakes, it was time for your Kindergarten assessment test. I figured it would be good to do this now so we could work on any areas where you need help.

I tried to prepare you for it by saying we were going to play with some teachers. You asked, "Are we going to my school?"

"No."

"My kindergarten school?"

"No..."

"Well, what teachers then?"

Thanks, Molly... thanks for questioning me on this.

"We're going to play with some teachers to see if you're ready for kindergarten."

"Oh... ok."

And that was that.

So we go to the early childhood center in our school district, and wait in the lobby. Then, the teacher comes out to get Molly -- and it's our former parent educator from Parents as Teachers (a WONDERFUL organzation that all parents should take advantage of, if it's offered in their area.)! Literally, Ms. Linda had her first meeting with us before Molly was even born. And she's going to help test Molly!

We had a lovely little mini-reunion, then Ms. Linda said, "Ok, are you ready to go?" I start to pick up my Mommy Bag to head back when Ms. Linda looks at me and says, "Oh, no - you can wait here..."

"Oh, ok..." I reply casually... with my voice unusually high. "Have fun, Molly." Without me.

From the lobby, I can see Molly in the room -- listening to the teachers, throwing and catching a bean bag, writing, and learning.

Why is this making me teary? Because my little peanut is such a big girl...

After what seemed like an hour, the teachers come out to get me. Molly did a wonderful job - her only two areas to work on are catching a ball and singing the alphabet without skipping the letter N. And Molly was so proud of herself.

And I am too.

No comments: