Tuesday, July 8, 2008

"Mommy, I'm Worried..."

Let me start off by writing that you are a very good sleeper. You always have been. (Thank GOD.) Luckily, Daddy and I got you into a routine early. There were a few on-and-off bouts. But after fighting through a couple “crying it out” phases, it’s paid off.

However, every so often, you try out a new stalling tactic.

Your latest is “Mommy, can you come here for a minute, please? I need to tell you something.” With a lead-in like that, it’s hard to resist. Upon entering your darkened room, I ask, “Yes, Molly?”

“Mommy,” you reply, “I’m worried.”

“Worried about what?”

At that point, I can almost hear the wheels in your mind turning... searching... trying to find something to be worried about.

Last week, you were worried about your elephants. “They trumpet in the night,” you explained to me very earnestly. “And they wake up my friends.” (A.k.a. the 12,000 stuffed animals in your bed.) “The trumpeting scares them, Mommy.” We identified Uncle Elmer (your elephant from Build-a-Bear) as the lead offender in the midnight trumpeting raids. So I had a very stern talk with him… and you went right to sleep.

Last night, you called again. “Mommy, I’m worried…” and I could see you searching around your room for something to worry you. Finally, you found something: “I’m worried about Hippo.”

“Hippo? Hippo is fine. He's on the back of your rocking chair.”

“Yes. I think he doesn’t like it there.”

“Would he rather be in bed with you?”

“Yes, Mommy.”

And after that, silence.

Daddy and I always love the creative, interesting ways you try to lure us back to your room. With Daddy, you always ask for pats and scratches on your back… and he can never turn that down. Or, sometimes, it’s the call of “Just one more kiss, Mommy.” And I will N E V E R turn that down.

No comments: